ATX Community

Catherine - MIT help again

BulldogTom

Catherine,

My son has his interview set up for this week. Any tips you can give him about what to expect in the interview? Will there be questions like "If you could be any animal, what would it be?"

Just wondering how he should prep for this interview?

Thanks for your time. You have been invaluable as a resouce on MIT.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

Tom, if he is just himself, I'm sure he will impress the interviewer. Number one rule, though, in any interview, is to start by introducing yourself, a step many young people seem to forget, . and to look them in the eyes the whole time. Looking away when answering questions seems evasive.

My buddy who does interviews (on this side of the country) cautions that every interviewer is different. Here are his comments.

He says: <begin rant> I care more about how they think than what they have done. Frequently, the applicant has done some huge project in robotics or math or some such. Then when I probe, I find that they have no idea WHY things work the way they do. The ones that understand the underlying principles really stand out. Also, I care more about attitude than anything. I am asking myself if they are going to SURVIVE, and attitude is most of it. They ALL have great grades, great AP courses, great SATs and I couldn't give less of a shit about any of it. In fact, the interviewers are NOT supposed to have transcripts, scores or even resumes. Although I like resumes. I often see the #1 ranked student, and almost invariably find them boring. <rant ends>

The interview is a small part of the process. It can definitely swing the vote, but if the foundational stuff ain't there, it doesn't matter. And I have been told that the interview has more effect in the negative direction than the positive. Not sure if I can corroborate that, tho.

• Like 2

I will also add that my husband (who coaches the Pistol Team) notes over the years he sees more and more kids who are "wicket smaht" (translated: wicked (super) smart, in Boston-speak) but who have spent their young lives in front of computer screens and keyboards -- and who therefore have a VERY limited intuition about how the physical world works. This, in general, makes it much harder to learn mechanics and how calculus describes (at first, before it goes seriously esoteric) *physical* changes. Changes in slope, in acceleration, describing the way a cable "hangs" when supported at two points...

Or they've never played with electronics kits and learned what happens when you stick a bigger or smaller value resistor in your circuit (or your "solar car" project, as so many schools make kids build).

Someone who still understands those things will have an easier time at MIT and make a better impression at the interview.

More than anything else, MIT is about the WHY that underpins and informs the "how" of things.

• Like 2

One thing about MIT that is really different from most schools is that people form bonds around their "living groups" (NOT "dorms"), and activities. Your son could ask about the interviewer's living group, and ask about clubs or groups that include his own interests. Some info can be found online but asking how to really delve into life at the 'Tute will certainly show that he wants to be part of it all, not just take a bunch of classes.

IHTFP, after all. One meaning (out of dozens) is "I have truly found paradise."

(I have tried, failed, and punted; I hate this *ummm* place; interesting hacks to fascinate people; I'll have thesis finished pronto; I have taken freshman physics; iron has three fundamental properties.... the list goes on probably for pages.)

• Like 3

Two hints that I have looked for as I have interviewed people.

1. Does he appear to want to be here and is wiling to do the work. One of the best measurements I have found is how they sit in a chair. My expereience has been that those who loung back in the chair and give the appearance that they are comfortable and it will take a little to get them out of the chair, usually take a little to get them going. He does not have to sit on the edge of the chair, however, lounging is out. He does not want to be anxious (hard) but give the impression that he is ready to go to work.

2. He is also there to interview them...this should be a two-way street. He needs to have some questions that are issues critical to him also. This will demonstrate to the interviewer that he has put some thought into going to MIT, in this case, and even knows a little about the school and the expectations there.

When I was recruited out of college item #2 was one thing that all the headhunters indicated they did not usually run into but was very important. Not that it matters at this point, but, I ended up having multiple offers to choose from.

• Like 3