ATX Community

Not sure if this is an issue or not? State forms

BulldogTom

I have one client who has a MI rental. Not a big deal. Been doing their return a few years. Fairly simple to figure out.

So they come in this year and drop off their stuff. I tell them the 8582 PAL form was not ready and it might take a little longer this year. So when the PAL is ready, I figure I better get on the return. But the MI forms are still not showing as available. This goes on until today. I started thinking that I was not hearing a bunch of bitchin' about late forms from Chuck and some other MI posters.

I went to my update preferences, and sure enough, I forgot to select MI when selecting my states to update. When I hit the update, 303 forms came down. When I opened my client return, there were all the MI forms.

So I think that the software is not trying to download forms you have in your return unless you checkmarked the state to download their forms. I don't think it worked like that in the past. Does anyone else think this is a "bug"? Or am I just a dufus for not checking on a state that I have a client from?

Tom

Hollister, CA

I don't think it's a bug, the program gives you the choice of downloading 'all states' or selecting just the states you want, to save disk space. So if you did not tell it you wanted those files, it's just following your instructions.

While it would be nice if when you roll over a return, it asked you if you wanted to download those forms, it's not really a bug.

That is the way it always worked until you chose to install the forms. It has always been an option to choose the states that you would use most often and/or all states. This has happened to me more than once with Mn, Mi, Ia, Illinois, etc. You can then download them right into the return. This year, I selected the states I thought I would be using right from the start. Now, there are going to be more. Not a bug.