Poorest Families, Poorest Child Care

Social Security’s Insecurity

A Sick Policy on Health Insurance

The Oh-So-Golden-Years Pension Break

The Great Pension Robbery

Higher Education Denied

Medicare’s Plunge Toward Insolvency

Single and Paying For It

I am certain no-one will agree with all of what the author says, but it's very thought-provoking and well presented.

Just FYI....the cost for my daughter's Fall 2012/Spring 2013 school year tuiton and fees (University of Akron, Akron, OH) is $11,865.68. This, of course, does not include room & board (approx. $10,000.00). This is pretty average for a public University in Ohio...ridiculous!

My youngest of 3 graduated in may 2010. Oldest went 5 years, second went 2 years, third went 4 years. I chose to pay 1/2 of the amount above scholarships. Imagine what I am still paying off.....

Oldest and youngest went to Huntington University in Indiana. Middle went to DeVry.

I feel your pain.

>>dreams of MIT<<

Three words: Scholastic Aptitude Test. Right or wrong, fair or not, the SAT is the single most important factor. Learn HOW to test and take it early so you can repeat if necessary. Other factors are grade point average, which in high school generally just means you turn your homework in on time even if it's screwed up, AP or local college classes that score higher, and extra-curricular activities, especially leadership positions. The challenge is getting in, NOT paying for it. When MIT decides they want you, they will make it happen.

In other words, don't bother with UC San Diego unless there is an academic program or professor you absolutely need there, which is not likely for an undergraduate. It may sound strange, but private schools are MOST affordable these days. They have money--even the government financial aid grants are higher there. They also graduate in four years; University of California generally takes SIX because you can't get the prerequisites in the right order. That in itself means a 50% increase in tuition, and a loss of two years earnings. And once you get the degree, or even on the way, the private schools have wonderful networks for job placement. Plus free continuing education for life.

>>dreams of MIT<<

Three words: Scholastic Aptitude Test. Right or wrong, fair or not, the SAT is the single most important factor. Learn HOW to test and take it early so you can repeat if necessary. Other factors are grade point average, which in high school generally just means you turn your homework in on time even if it's screwed up, AP or local college classes that score higher, and extra-curricular activities, especially leadership positions. The challenge is getting in, NOT paying for it. When MIT decides they want you, they will make it happen.

In other words, don't bother with UC San Diego unless there is an academic program or professor you absolutely need there, which is not likely for an undergraduate. It may sound strange, but private schools are MOST affordable these days. They have money--even the government financial aid grants are higher there. They also graduate in four years; University of California generally takes SIX because you can't get the prerequisites in the right order. That in itself means a 50% increase in tuition, and a loss of two years earnings. And once you get the degree, or even on the way, the private schools have wonderful networks for job placement. Plus free continuing education for life.

Jainen,

Thanks for your words of advice. UC San Diego is the lowest of his choices. Right now, MIT and Embry Riddle are at the top of the list. He is taking 5 AP courses this year at his high school. Does about 4-5 hours of homework every night. Will be taking the SAT this spring. His challenge is the extra-cirricular. Moving this year put him in a small bind because he was "in" at Lodi High, but now he is "the new kid" in Hollister. With his homework and church activities, he barely has time to spend with his family. He gave up football this year to focus on his classwork. We have told him he needs to find a group that he can get into and get his resume filled out. But I worry that we are putting too much on him. A 16 year old should not have to live the next two years so focused on getting his education plans in place. He still needs to be a kid.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Church activities can be great on that college resume. Often the school will actually add outside activities like that to the transcript if given written info from the church. If not, make sure it gets incorporated by his references, written into his essay, referenced in cover letters and thank you letters, etc. Make sure he practices a verbal example to use in interviews, maybe a short, a longer, and a longest version to use as the situation suggests. If a photo is requested or allowed, make it one from that mission trip or philanthropic project!

I'll chime in with a couple of words about my alma mater, MIT. It's been said that learning at MIT is like drinking from a fire hose, and that is pretty darned accurate. It's super hectic, very intense, and they have the best civilian collegiate shooting teams in the country. I'd never get in these days; I didn't do "enough," get high enough scores, etc.

It can be a _fabulous_ place for intense, hard-working, hard-playing kids who know how (and who) to ask for help when (not if!) they get stuck or overwhelmed. Living groups (not dorms) are very distinctive and the right match can make your career there (and the wrong one can make a kid miserable).

That said -- if your son is bound and determined on a course of study that requires graduate work, think again about MIT. The school that first job will look at will be the last one -- and MIT discourages undergrads from going to grad school at the 'Tute (more in some areas than others). If he needs grad school, go someplace else, learn like a fiend, then go to MIT for that graduate work.

If you (or he) has specific questions about MIT, email/message me separately. My husband may have good info as well; he was there for seven years and got out with four degrees, plus he works with the Pistol Team every week and so has current info on student life.

• Like 2